duckling with no balance.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cainsie, Jun 10, 2011.

1. cainsie

cainsie New Egg

Jun 10, 2011
    We had 5 khaki Campbell ducklings hatch on the 3rd of June. 2 of them needed our help as they were stuck and the membrane was drying on them. We just peeled it back a bit and let them get out themselves. Weren't sure if they''d make it through the night as they were very weak but one was perfect (couldn't actually tell which duck it was as it got out and joined the other 3!) The other one seems to have no balance at all. It always leans to the side and falls over. We looked online and the closest thing we've found is Stargazing but it doesn't actually. Look up before it falls. Other than that it eats and drinks great and can get to where it wants to go and is very active. Has anyone heard off this? Any ideas what we can do?

We have him on vits which include b and niacin. He's been on them since Monday. And is on chick crumbs. Non medicated.

2. MommaOrp

MommaOrp Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Derbyshire, England
    assuming you've checked legs and feet and there fine, it is possibly just a weak duckling due to problematic hatch. Your doing great, keep persevering! [​IMG]

3. sandracollins

sandracollins Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2010
    dublin ireland
    I hatched a call duck like this a while ago it couldn't walk just rolled if you held your hands around and balanced it he would walk,I gave him nician vitamin drops for a week but he didn't improve ,he grew the same as the others and it broke my heart to watch . I brought him to the vet and he tried acupuncture but that didn't work either so we had put him to sleep . All I can say is try not to get too attached

4. cainsie

cainsie New Egg

Jun 10, 2011
    Unfortunately the wee one died overnight.

He will always have a. Place in my heart. Rip wee Guy.

5. sandracollins

sandracollins Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2010
    dublin ireland
    So sorry you lost him but it was probably for the best we had Flip for 10 days and I cried the day I had to get the vet to put him to sleep [​IMG]:hugs

6. MommaOrp

MommaOrp Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Derbyshire, England
    Oh i'm so sorry, its horrible losing our little ones, i hatched 7 khaki campbells about a month ago, i had them for 2 weeks and they used to follow me everywhere, unfortunately a rat got in my barn and into the brooder and devoured them all except one who i found in the morning, very traumatised! i was so heartbroken but i still have my little turbo!! she's the light at the end of the tunnel for me, i love her to bits.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by