Duckling with red eyes

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Beckrns, Sep 16, 2018.

1. Beckrns

Beckrns In the Brooder

Sep 16, 2018
    Hi!
    Can I start by saying this website has been like my duckling and chick manual for the past couple of weeks, you guys have been so helpful thank you!
    I have recently got myself some ducklings, they are now 3 weeks old. I got them from a farm and they were all mixed up apparently so I'm not entirely sure what breed the one in question is... one of my quackers has got red eyes, it already had red eyes when I got it so I thought it was just the nature of its breed, but recently it has lost coordination in its head/neck and I wondered if it may be related or if it is just a breed trait... none of the others seem affected, I bath them regularly and clean out their house every couple of days. They are brooding between 26-30 degrees Celsius at the moment.
    Thank you in advance! 20180916_155506.jpg

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

Sounds more like a niacin deficiency to me than eye color. Although I never really paid much attention to eye color, You could have a Pekin which a notorious for having leg muscle troubles. They grow so fast and were actually produced for the table and meant to grow super fast so legs weren't taken into consideration since those that produced them didn't realize they would be popular as pets too. So You need to get this one especially and the rest just for caution on a B Complex Liquid which will give them all they need along with healthy feed to get them up and as healthy as they can be. We see a lot of leg weakness in Pekins. Niacin def can eventually kill them if it isn't treated. I am not sure if eye color is anything to worry about and the color may change as they get older too. You can buy human b complex liquid they will need 3 ml daily if you can find for cattle it will be 1 ml daily it's more concentrated. Most for cattle will say injectable but we give it orally to the birds. Neurological issues can arise from niacin def also. What are you feeding your ducklings? @CayugaJana posted a list of deficiencies ducks can have and I thought it was in my favs but can't find it. I know I went on about leg problems but you didn't mention if your duckling is having problems with walking or standing. We just heard from a member whos duckling had seizures and she put it on the B Complex liquid and it is now seizure free. @casportpony anything to add?

3. Beckrns

Beckrns In the Brooder

Sep 16, 2018
    Thanks for the reply!
    I'm feeding them Fancy feeds chick crumbs along with daily fruit and veggies. I did wonder if it might have been a niacin or vit E deficiency from the wobbly head and neck so I'm definitely doing to get some of that. It doesn't seem to be visually impaired so hopefully eye colour may just be a breed thing? I hope so anyway! It's eyes aren't puffy or itchy...

Miss Lydia likes this.
  4. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

The eye colour isn't an issue...

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

After you get your little one on some vitamins let us know how she is doing it usually doesn’t take long once they get the B complex going good

6. Beckrns

Beckrns In the Brooder

Sep 16, 2018
    Oh that's good thank you!

chickens really likes this.
  7. Beckrns

Beckrns In the Brooder

Sep 16, 2018
    Shall do, thanks for your help x

Miss Lydia likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: