DUCKLING WITH RED IRRITATED EYES

Gardengirl73

Chirping
7 Years
Jan 1, 2013
Kentucky-Heart in Maine.
I have 2 three and a half week old pekin ducklings, Cosmo and Wanda. Cosmo has a lot of red in the whites of his eyes. He had some drainage which seems to have disappeared with more swim time, but the red remains. No swelling at all. What is safe to use in his eyes. Drops, neosporin, something to put in the water. I have some powdered duramycin on hand. Otherwise he is totally healthy. It just looks very uncomfortable and I don't want a potential eye infection to worsen. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

I have 2 three and a half week old pekin ducklings, Cosmo and Wanda. Cosmo has a lot of red in the whites of his eyes. He had some drainage which seems to have disappeared with more swim time, but the red remains. No swelling at all. What is safe to use in his eyes. Drops, neosporin, something to put in the water. I have some powdered duramycin on hand. Otherwise he is totally healthy. It just looks very uncomfortable and I don't want a potential eye infection to worsen. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
There is Terramycin eye ointment at most feed stores, and put some ACV into their drinking head dunking water. 1tab to 1 gal of water. Very important they have something to dunk their heads into to clean their eyes and nares 24/7. I also like Veterycin spray it is very safe to use on the face and in the eyes, pretty pricey but lasts along time. It's for infections and wounds. Keep us updated on how he is doing.

There is Terramycin eye ointment at most feed stores, and put some ACV into their drinking head dunking water. 1tab to 1 gal of water. Very important they have something to dunk their heads into to clean their eyes and nares 24/7. I also like Veterycin spray it is very safe to use on the face and in the eyes, pretty pricey but lasts along time. It's for infections and wounds. Keep us updated on how he is doing.
Good to know that I can use the regular Veterycin spray. They make some for eyes, but I'd rather get multi-use as it is expensive. I may be out of ACV, I use it for the chickens, but will pick some up and the ointment. They spend most of their day now outside and have a little wading pool so get to dunk frequently. I think this is residual from when they were at TSC. Just drinking water there. They pick your ducklings and pop them in a box, so I didn't see Cosmos eyes until we got home. They are wonderful ducks though so I don't mind! I know a lot more about chickens and know enough to check before I assume it's okay for the ducks as well. I just didn't want to inadvertantly injure him by using the wrong thing. Thank you so much for the info, it is very much appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom