Duckling with 'slightly' splayed legs?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Pickle Rick, Jan 18, 2019.

1. Pickle Rick

Pickle Rick Chirping

Oct 1, 2018
    QLD Australia
    G'day all. I recently had a mother Muscovy duck hatch some baby ducklings and I noticed today one of them lagging behind and it looked like it was walking with its legs slightly apart, unlike the others which had legs that were pretty much parallel. should I try and fix its legs or no?

btw is it normal that these ducklings are tiny compared to all our other ducklings?

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General

What are you feeling them? I ask because this can happen when they don't get enough niacin.

3. Pickle Rick

Pickle Rick Chirping

Oct 1, 2018
    QLD Australia
    I am just feeding them regular chicken food, watermelon and that's about it. they've got a large dam with lots of bugs so I don't have to feed them very often

happy duck and chickens really like this.
  4. ShannonR

ShannonR Songster

Sep 17, 2015
    I'm thinking you just answered your own question. That would definitely cause leg issues and small ducklings.

5. Pickle Rick

Pickle Rick Chirping

Oct 1, 2018
    QLD Australia
    ahh, okay is there any foods they could eat that would have niacin in it or would I have to get some from a vetinarian

happy duck and ShannonR like this.
  6. Texag87

Texag87 Songster

Sep 22, 2018
    Aggieland
    Greens and green peas are good for them. If you really want to make sure they get enough niacin, add brewers yeast to their feed. Most chicken feed will not have enough niacin. One would think free ranging they would get enough from natural foods but any excess niacin would not hurt them.

casportpony, happy duck and ShannonR like this.
  7. ShannonR

ShannonR Songster

Sep 17, 2015
    How much watermelon are you feeding them in comparison to their regular chicken feed? If It's a lot, that might be part of the issue.

It might be worthwhile also, to switch to an all flock feed rather than regular chicken feed because it has higher protein. Are you feeding crumbles, or pellets that the ducklings are unable to eat?

With tiny babies like this, I think it's important to not scrimp on the bought poultry feed. Feed them once or twice a day and and make sure it is enough, and I think you'll see improvement.

8. Pickle Rick

Pickle Rick Chirping

Oct 1, 2018
    QLD Australia
    I only feed them watermelon once a week or so and they are completely loaded on chicken food, although I will see if my mum can start getting me all flock feed

casportpony, happy duck and ShannonR like this.
  9. ShannonR

ShannonR Songster

Sep 17, 2015
    Ok, and are you feeding pellets or crumble? Until they are older, the pellets are too big for the ducklings to eat so I would use crumble type feed until they get bigger. And actually, that would explain pretty much everything if they are unable to eat because their food is too big

casportpony and happy duck like this.
  10. Pickle Rick

Pickle Rick Chirping

Oct 1, 2018
    QLD Australia
    I don't know the difference between the crumble and pellets, but the stuff im feeding them is just straight seed they seem to be able to eat the small pieces though

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: