Duckling with Sun Stroke?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Patchesnposies, May 28, 2008.

1. Patchesnposies

Patchesnposies Chickens.....are my ONE weakness!

Mar 5, 2008
    Southern New Mexico
    Our local children's librarian hatched a bunch of crested duck eggs for the kids at the library and because she knew we had various assorted fowl, gave 4 of them to us.

We are keeping them in the house at night, but in a pen during the day with several turkey poults. We are in NM and it has been getting quite hot out. (80's to 90's) It seems that 3 of the ducklings have been "picking on" the littlest one and were not letting him under the shade we had set up for them.

When I went to change their water, which I do many times a day in this weather, the littlest one was laying next to the waterer very weak and unable to stand. He just flopped over and wriggled. One of his feet seems to curl a bit, (might be my imagination), but nevertheless he is in a bad way.

We've brought him into the house and made a little hospital cage for him. I have given him vitamins and he is drinking and eating. (AND BEING A DUCK....pooping!)

Anyone ever have a duckling with sunstroke? Will this little guy ever not be picked on by the others?

We have raised six other ducks and never had a problem with them, any advice would be appreciated.

Deb

2. DuckLady

DuckLady ~~~Administrator~~~BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    A duck can get dehydrated fast if not given access to water and shade. Especially a baby. You are doing the right thing by bringing him in. If he is eating, drinking and pooping, you got to him in time! Good job!

You might want to consider more than one shade area with several water sources. When it gets hot here (and it is nowhere what you get) we fill the water buckets and waterers with ice cubes that we spend all spring making and bagging and storing in the freezer.

3. kees

kees Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    Yes, you did the right thing. Will he ever not be picked on? If you release him when he's ready, he'll join other ducklings and be okay.

4. Patchesnposies

Patchesnposies Chickens.....are my ONE weakness!

Mar 5, 2008
    Southern New Mexico
    Happy to report he is doing much better this morning! Yesterday I thought for sure he was not going to make it.

He is walking, though still unsteady, eating, drinking and preening. We plan to keep him inside for the indefinite future, until he gets some size to him.

Thanks for the suggestions about having several shady spots and the ice cubes in the water, both are great and I plan to impliment them!

Deb

5. kees

kees Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    As long as he's eating, drinking and his poop looks good and he moves around and seems curious, he's going to be just fine!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by