Duckling with tilted head

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Iain Utah, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Iain Utah

Iain Utah Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2011
    For those who don't follow the hatch thread, I am hoping for any help with my 10 day old duckling who suddenly presented with a tilted head/twisted neck 2 days ago. I read about wry neck and following a member's advice immediately began giving him polyvisol drops. It seems to have slightly improved. Then, another member asked if maybe it was an injury due to how it just appeared when he was otherwise perfectly healthy looking. I also read somewhere it could be an ear infection??

FYI, he gets non-medicated complete starter crumble (18%) and romaine leaf pieces for treats. We also put the group (there are 9 ducklings total) in the tub every day to swim/bathe, but we stopped 2 days ago when he turned up this way.

Any idea what is wrong with him? Is there anything in addition to the polyvisol drops I can do for him? Would swimming help or hurt him?

Thanks for your help!!

Here is a video I took of him this morning:

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I saw this and posted about Poultry Nutri drench only because poly vi sol tastes digusting and my ducks and chickens seem to like the taste of the ND. I hope he gets okay and comes out of this.. [​IMG]
    And as long as you are there while swimming and don't let it or the rest get chilled [which I'm sure you wouldn't] they should enjoy a nice warm swim.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  3. Iain Utah

Iain Utah Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2011
    Lydia,

I bet the polyvisol tastes nasty, but I tricked him by coating pieces of romaine with the liquid. And I am happy to report that his neck is so improved today, I cannot tell him apart from the others!! [​IMG]

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    [​IMG]Great news!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by