Duckling with yolk sac

Jun 8, 2021
Please no mean comments.

I have a duck that hatched early on Saturday night. Yes. I helped it. But only after doing a lot of research and feeling as though it was struggling. I’m glad I helped it because the others I didn’t help died in their eggs…

This duck has not fully absorbed it’s yolk but it has absorbed a lot since Saturday. It’s in my incubator in a sandwich bag wrapped in paper towel and a wet piece of paper towel at the bottom of the bag so it stays humid enough.

Today is day 4 and it still has a little yolk sac left. What do I do?? It should have been absorbed by now! The duck is very squirmy and is chirping so that’s good. I did give it a little nutri drench because if it’s not absorbing it’s yolk it could be hungry now at day 4. Should I wrap it up and move it to brooder or under my broody hen?? Help!!

Attachments

• FBD397F4-CB4D-44C8-AF2C-3526CB51E16D.jpeg
    FBD397F4-CB4D-44C8-AF2C-3526CB51E16D.jpeg
    312.3 KB · Views: 53
Day 4? Wow, I’m surprised it hasn’t absorbed completely in that amount of time. But as long as it’s alive, it will continue to absorb, or the duckling will die. I think it would be ok to put in a brooder, be sure it’s not too hot if it’s unable to move around on its own. Put some old soft towels, or puppy pads or something under it to start, you don’t want that sac to burst. Keep it as dry as possible. The duckling definitely needs some nutrition, at least water and vitamins. Nutridrench would be helpful. Hopefully it will continue to absorb and thrive. Good luck!

Oh, what is the string looking part in the pic? If that is dried up gunk from out of the egg, you can clip it off. Just don’t clip it close the actual yolk sac that you expect to be absorbed into the body.

Back
Top Bottom