Ducklings and chickens

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by biamigueis, Mar 11, 2015.

1. biamigueis

biamigueis Just Hatched

Jul 24, 2013
    Recently i bought 3 ducklings along with some baby chicks to introduce to my 2 adult chickens. Now about 2-3 weeks old the ducklings are about the size I introduced my chicks to chickens the last time. Would it be ok to introduce them now or when should do that? when they are waterproof ill put them by the pond but until then I would like to keep them outside in the chicken run since the ducks are jumping out of their pen and making a mess of it every 5 min. What do you think?

Thanks

2. cityfarmer12

cityfarmer12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    i would not introduce them to adult chickens yet...chickens have sharp beaks, and the duckling have no way to defend themselves until they are adults. You could maybe build them a little separate area in the coop for them if they are too big for your brooder. Even the nicest chickens can kill small birds, and ducks don't have the sharp beaks like chickens. once they are adults my ducks have learned how to grab a feather and twist to make the chickens fear them lol :)

3. ChiknNuggets

ChiknNuggets Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2015
    Not sure about chickens but my ducks and quail are fine together.

4. cityfarmer12

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    yeah, my ducks and quail get along, but word of warning...chickens and quail are a BAD mix...my birds are free range and have as much food as they want, but yesterday a quail escaped from his pen into the chicken coop, and all i found were its wings and skeleton...the chickens had picked it clean. lol, that might have been a bit gruesome :p

5. bradleyscott

bradleyscott Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2013
    Southeast oklahoma
    It is hard to believe how messy those little ducklings are isn't it? Mine are about 100 times worse than chicks, can't keep the brooder clean and they splash out a gallon of water in about an hour. Lol

1 person likes this.
  6. cityfarmer12

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    ikr!! it's crazy...i am always cleaning the brooder (and the duck coop, lol)...they are overly adorable though :D

7. Animal Lover123

Animal Lover123 Just Hatched

Feb 18, 2015
    Hello I am New to BYC. I was wandering would chickens and ducks get along when they are older because I have 2ducklings and 9baby chicks together right bow but I am not sure when to separate them????? Thanx LOL

8. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    It really depends on the birds, to be honest. Some people here say their chickens and ducks get along great, some say they're more volatile than mixing water and potassium!

Generally you should not introduce ducks to chickens until they're big enough to fend for themselves. Conversely, if you have muscovies or another giant breed, it's the chickens who could be in trouble!

9. Animal Lover123

Animal Lover123 Just Hatched

Feb 18, 2015
    Ok thanks is it okay to put them together while they are little I am also not sure about what kind they are either??:-D

10. lizyusczyk

lizyusczyk New Egg

Mar 11, 2015
    Jamestown, NY
    I am looking at buying a few chicks and ducklings. Is it safe to have them together, if I purchase them at the same age and time?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by