Ducklings and chicks peaking at my feet.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by dragonsmenageri, Aug 5, 2013.

1. dragonsmenageri

dragonsmenageri Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2013
    Kent/Auburn Wa
    So I am pretty new to both raising bird and to BackYardChickens. I got my first adult birds last summer, they are doing pretty well and one of my hens went broody.
    She hatched out 8 healthy chicks.Then I ran across some one looking for homes for 8 Cayuga ducklings. Then another lady wanted one of my ganders in trade for 8 more ducklings. So now I have 16 ducklings and 8 chick all in a large chicken coop. When I enter the coop to feed them my feet get attacked by the entire group. Obviously I can not wear open toe shoes. I am worried about allowing this behavior to continue unchecked. I had 3 duckling I raised this spring that did this same thing now every time I have the feed bucked they are weaving in and out between my feet and trying to get in to the feed bucket no matter what kind of feed it is. I weigh over 200lb so this is not safe for me or them. I try really hard not to steep on them the adults and the 6 week old chicks but I am still stepping on there adorable little ducky feet all the time thankfully the chicks and chickens are better at staying out from under foot.
    My question is how can I train them out of running rite up to my feet if I can at all. I know they associate me with food even though I am not normal in the coop when I feed them.

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] Maybe you could toss food to them over the fence for awhile until they forget about you, the feed bucket and your toes. Or wear full shoes or boots for a few days to confuse them.

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and [​IMG]! Great to have you with us!!

4. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! I'm not sure if there's any way to keep them away from your feet, just walk slowly and carefully. Good luck to you.

5. dragonsmenageri

dragonsmenageri Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2013
    Kent/Auburn Wa
    I already don't feed from inside the pen, they attack my feet when I go in to dump there watter or any other time.

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by