Ducklings and Chicks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by rebeccaware1998, Oct 23, 2016.

1. rebeccaware1998

rebeccaware1998 New Egg

Oct 23, 2016
    I have 2 weekish old ducklings in my coop right now and was recently offered day old chicks for free. I only have room for one chick, and was wondering if I could put the chick with the week old ducks. Would the ducks accept the one chick? Do ducks have a pecking order? (I'm a first time duck owner) If this isn't a good idea, I'm gunna have I say no to the chicks, but wanted to see if it was possible. Thanks!

2. Adalida

Adalida Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2015
    Montana
    What kind of ducklings do you have, and what kind of chick is it?

I ask because our chicks were a week old before we added Rouen ducklings, and the ducklings got huge fast. Your week old duckies might be Goliaths to the little chick.

3. Adalida

Nov 21, 2015
    Montana
    Also, what kind of setup do you have for your duckies? I had to setup a bigger brooder when I combined ducks and chicks, because the chicks needed the heat lamp but the ducks got too hot and needed to get away from it.

4. rebeccaware1998

rebeccaware1998 New Egg

Oct 23, 2016

I have Muscovy ducklings. And the chick is the all black kind. The one with all black meat.. (forgetting the name). Our set up is a rokm with a heat lamp, but a ramp out to small enclosed run. That's where we keep the babies

5. Adalida

Nov 21, 2015
    Montana
    It sounds like you have a really good space for the little ones. Mine all got along great, the chicks used the ducklings as pillows sometimes. I'd think as long as there was plenty of room for the chick to get away from the ducks, it'd be okay. My Rouens are much bigger ducks than my Muscovy, so I'm guessing your Muscovy babies aren't the giants that they were. I had worried that my ducks would beat up on the chicks and have a size advantage, but they all coexisted happily.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
  6. shortgrass

shortgrass Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2015
    Northern Colorado
    They should be okay for a while, but in brooders, you will discover that the ducklings are going to have the water all over the place. It's OK for ducklings, not so much for chicks. Chicks dont fare so well in a wet brooder...I would suggest separation until they're out of a brooder.

If not in a brooder type situation, to where they can all have separate water, they should get along fine. I've only ever had problems with the chickens tormenting the ducks ;) But I've also had ducks and chicks that didn't even know they weren't brothers ha-ha, depends on each individual personality.

Edit to add* the breeds of ducks I've had experience with are Mallard, Pekin, and Rouen. I've not had any Muscovy, so not sure of their temperament....

Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
  7. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

My Ducklings were bratty...They wanted to play with the Chicks...Grabbing them and tossing them like pillows...I had to keep them separate in two pens....I guess it all depends on the Ducks? I still keep them apart and my Drake who is playful, grabs the mesh fencing and pulls it to scare the Chickens away..He then wags his tail and walks off proud of himself....

Cheers!

8. sophieana

sophieana New Egg

Oct 25, 2016
    Hi there. I have 3 4week old welsh harlequins and 2 4 week old chicks all in the same enclosures. so far so good although the ducks are huge compared to the chicks. we live in nz so we don't have many predators except domestic pets and it's quite warm, 12 at night 20 during the day. I put them all in a outdoor run during the day and bring them I side at night with a heat lamp. at what age do I put my chicks in with the unrelated and different breed adult hens? and at what age can my ducks live outside full time?? it's coming into summer here so getting warmer every day.

9. Adalida

Nov 21, 2015
    Montana
    Have your adult hens seen the little ones? When you say you put the chicks outside, is it an adjoining run to the big chickens run? Are the little ducks going to be in the same enclosure as the chickens or do you have other adult ducks?

I put my new chicks with the adult hens at 6 weeks, but many people on here do it much earlier. As long as you set up some spots where the chicks can get away from the big girls if they're getting picked on, they should be okay. My big chickens had gotten acquainted with the little chicks before they all shared a run, so there wasn't much drama when I put the littles in with them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by