ducklings and chicks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by aladatrot, Apr 14, 2009.

1. aladatrot

aladatrot Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    LaPorte
    I got my runners today, and the hatchery included some roos for warmth. This has never before been a problem when I was ordering chicks, but now that I'm brooding ducks I don't know if this will work. Can those roosters just brood with the ducks? Everything's fine for the moment, but will I need to end up separating them?

Cheers
    M

2. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

Ducks are very wet in the brooder and the dampness isn't good for chicks. We always brood ducks & chicks seperate.

Steve in NC

3. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    If your brooder is a wire bottom brooder then allowing them to be together for a couple of weeks shouldn't be a problem.

I brood my Muscovies and Games together. However, the problem I run into is the Games like to start pecking the ducklings. The chicks will kill them in a heartbeat if they ever get a taste of blood.

Thus, I'd recommend them together for 2 weeks max. if your using a wire bottom brooder. Otherwise, you better follow the advice given above.

4. aladatrot

aladatrot Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    LaPorte
    Thanks for the advice. I will separate them in a couple of weeks. Since things were crowded with 9 extra rooster chicks, I have moved all of them to a horse stall with their light well attached to a sturdy stand that holds it just right for the babies. They have their feed and a 3 gallon water fount close by, but everyone has enough room to move about. I'm not sure this will work for the ducks, but it worked great for my meat birds when I raised them.

Cheers!
    M

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by