Ducklings and chicks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Lexibear, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Lexibear

Lexibear New Egg

Mar 28, 2012
    I am going to get a couple baby ducks and probably 6 chicks soon, can I keep them together in the same container with the heat lamp. After they are big enough to move outside, can they be kept in the same coup at night, during the day they will probably be out in the yard.

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchaholic Extrordinaire Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    I never actually raised ducklings and chicks in the same brooder, so I can't help you there, but if you do try to attempt it, make sure to get non-medicated feed. Medicated feed can kill ducklings. As for keeping them in the same coop, my birds get along quite well! My drake was raised with chickens and has no problem with them, and the ducklings that are now outside in a separate pen are warming up to them. So I would think it would be easy for you to keep them together if they at least get some playtime together as babies. Watch out though - ducklings quickly outgrow chicks. And a rooster could easily get aggressive with a duck if he felt it was a threat.

3. Lexibear

Lexibear New Egg

Mar 28, 2012
    Thank you, that helps alot, I know the ducklings grow pretty fast, just wasn't sure how fast. I didn't know about the medicated feed though, I have non-medicated so am good there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by