Ducklings and cornmeal?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by FeatheredDuck, Apr 20, 2018.

1. FeatheredDuck

FeatheredDuck Hatching

Mar 27, 2018
    alright so my family is on a tight budget and im looking for solutions to feeding my ducklings. can they be fed cornmeal or will it hurt them?

2. sylviethecochin

sylviethecochin Crowing

Jun 14, 2017
    Central PA
    Don't. Ducklings need at least 18% protein, and corn has 8% protein. Just buy the cheap 50 lb bag of chick starter for $16 at your local feed store. Get the stuff with the most recent mill date and it'll last you longer.

3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Crossing the Road 5 Years

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    If you are on that tight a budget, you may need to rehome your chicks. Cornmeal is much more expensive than chick starter. For ducks, IMO, they should have multi flock starter which I believe is higher in protein than chick starter. Some one please correct me if I'm wrong. Your ducks could be irreversibly harmed if they do not have adequate feed.

kwhites634 likes this.
  4. Toru

Toru Hatching

Sep 18, 2017
    Yes, the chip non medicated chicken strarter 18-20% will work. Around 2.5- 3 weeks you need switch to lower protein 17-16%. The weather is getting better, so let them eat grass, bugs - free stuff. Some breeds of ducks are good foragers. Good luck

5. Toru

Toru Hatching

Sep 18, 2017
    Do not get me wrong - the ducklings still will need chicken starter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: