Ducklings and Drafts

How long do I need to protect ducklings from drafts? Does their brooder (if that's the right word) need to be completely draft free. Any other hints?

Brooder does need to be put in a draft free area, ducklings can chill easily. until completely feathered they will chill.

How long do I need to protect ducklings from drafts? Does their brooder (if that's the right word) need to be completely draft free. Any other hints?

I protect mine from draft until they are fully feathered. Also yes they're brooder will need to be draft free. What kind of brooder will you be using?

What kind of brooder will you be using?
Guess I misused the word. I'll be picking the ducklings up from Ideal on March 7th. I used it meaning where they will be kept until they're ready to join the chicken flock. I'm learning.
cool.png

Guess I misused the word. I'll be picking the ducklings up from Ideal on March 7th. I used it meaning where they will be kept until they're ready to join the chicken flock. I'm learning.
cool.png

You used it correctly. I meant are you going to be using a kiddie pool, stock tank, rabbit hutch, etc as a brooder. Depending on the style some may be easier to cover for drafts then others.

For the first week or two in a cardboard box about 3' tall in what we laughingly call the den, so no problem there. After that in a cage sitting in a kiddie pool in the basement. The corner I have selected is pretty draft free and does get some heat from the furnace. When they outgrow that I was going to move them onto the screened-in back porch. It's got solid walls up to about 4'. Unless it gets really warm I was going to give them a heat lamp in all locations.

Last edited:
Sounds like a great plan. now don't forget to post pics. did you say what breed?

For the first week or two in a cardboard box about 3' tall in what we laughingly call the den, so no problem there. After that in a cage sitting in a kiddie pool in the basement. The corner I have selected is pretty draft free and does get some heat from the furnace. When they outgrow that I was going to move them onto the screened-in back porch. It's got solid walls up to about 4'. Unless it gets really warm I was going to give them a heat lamp in all locations.

I moved mine outside at about 1 week. I couldn't take the stink.
roll.png
I am in Florida but we have had some dips into the 50's since they have been outside. Mine are in a 3 sided "brooder" in a corner of the duck run (basically, a solid corner with a wall added but no front). 2 days ago (3 weeks and 2 days old) I built them a little run of their own about 8' long. They have a heat lamp on the inside and the first night, I checked to make sure that they went inside if they were cold, they did. They are very happy, they are feathering in, they have little wing feathers coming in. I did put an old feed bag over the front on a particularly windy evening.

The few times I have brooded, I have not been to worried about the temps. I go with the advice, if they are piled up they are cold, spread out all over and panting too hot. Seems to work.

Back
Top Bottom