Ducklings and no heat lamp :( what to do

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by NewHopePoultry, Apr 20, 2009.

1. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    The 3 ducklings and 2 goslings I got the other day are in my new house under the heat lamp.
    I got 5 3 week old ducklings and their heat lamp stopped working, its 10:45 at night, so I cant go and get another one.
    I cant bring them inside the house, and they are in the duck shed, since its summer one window(with bars over it) is open and cant be shut(its boardered up during the winter, but taken off in the summer) up until it has been nice outside and now suddenly, its like 30 degrees
    Theres 5 of them in a 35 gallon tote, but I dont know if if will be enough to last during the night.
    I put a cover over the open window and cover the top of the ducks tub with a towel.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2009
  2. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    if you have a heating pad, you can put that in there... Or if you have some heat hand warmers...

3. NewHopePoultry

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    Due to us being in the middle of moving, we have like nothing here,but clothes, no even food for us [​IMG]

4. Luvducks

Luvducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Colorado
    Do you have another type of lamp you can use? a 60 or 100 watt regular bulb will give off some heat. Just make sure it won't be a fire hazard. I used a 60 watt in my heat lamp because my bulb burnt out late at night. It was really cold here that night too but they huddled under it and seemed fine.

5. BFeathered

BFeathered Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    North Texas
    Um, do you have a regular light bulb? Convenience store run might be in order. Or you could just snuggle down for sleep with a few duckling in your shirt.... not really, but...

6. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    Can you just put a regular light bulb in the socket for the heat lamp? Steal one from another fixture just for tonight....

7. NancyDz

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    Looks like we all had the same idea [​IMG]

8. NewHopePoultry

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    It was my heat lamp itself, not the bulb,thats the whole problem.

9. momma's chickens

momma's chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Idaho
    I had this same thing with my ducks at about 3 1/2 week old. I just threw down extra straw and they were good to go. I know they are young but mine survived and are doing well.

10. NancyDz

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    Can you put them inside where the goslings are and put the other heat lamp so it shines in both brooders?

Nancy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by