Ducklings and overnight temps?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by willowbirdks, Aug 2, 2014.

1. willowbirdks

willowbirdks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2014
    Hi all, just looking for a reminder about using the heat lamp overnight for ducklings... We have four Magpie ducklings, 2 and 3 weeks old. I'm remembering that you start at 90° and drop 5° per week, right? So that would mean we need to keep them at the warmer temp for the 2 week old?

They have been hatched out by broody ducks and raised by mothers as part of a big flock. Not sure if that means they would be more or less hardy, or no different at all.

And also... We are going to be dividing our current night house, so they will be in the same space as our fully feathered Anconas. Will the heat lamp over the babies pose a potential problem for the adults in the next pen over?

2. lightchick

lightchick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    Yes, you do take the temp down 5 degrees per week. If you have the temp higher for your 2 week ones then as long as they have enough room your 3 week ones will be able to self regulate.

1 person likes this.
  3. willowbirdks

willowbirdks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2014
    Oh yes, that makes sense. I'll have to go back and do my research about the space in a brooder too... I'm really excited that we were able to get these ducklings, but I was not planning on any babies until the spring. I'm a little behind the curve this weekend.

Thanks for the helpful reminder!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by