Joylime322

Songster
Aug 27, 2020
Happy morning BYC Community! I may have done a thing.... My neighbors duck recently laid an a few eggs and when they cracked one open to eat there were cells and a few veins! So I took the other egg (on impulse hehe) and stuck it in my NR 360... But I have 25 quail eggs arriving on Friday night. So, is it okay that I "did this thing"? It is a small egg (one of the duck's first!)... Is it okay that I stuck it in the incubator? Is okay that my lil quail bebes are gonna be incubated with it? Have a fantastical day!
~~ JoyLime

No. The duckling is too big and will make it too damp for the quail
IF the duckling does hatch, will it be lonely? Should I try to get a second or third egg? Or (because it is the ducks first egg) is the egg hatching unlikely so I should just try to do the one?

I wouldn't incubate together... The quail will hatch earlier than the duck, and the high humidity during those few days could have adverse affects on your duck. They can never be together, even in the incubator. (as soon as the duck hatches remove him and put him in a different incubator if you can to dry off)
I've tried it, and ended up with 2 dead quail chicks from hour old ducklings being in the same incubator. They trampled them.
Don't raise him by himself. You should have at least 2 ducklings, and if you end up with extra drake(s) do you have a plan for them? Are you keeping the ducklings and do you have proper housing for them as adults? Ducks are very very different from chickens/quail, and cannot be kept with them. They need a pool of water at all times. I love ducks, they're super fun, but a lot of work. Especially as ducklings.

Back
Top Bottom