Ducklings and their drinking water supply...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by hoosiergal40, Mar 25, 2009.

1. hoosiergal40

hoosiergal40 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2009
    I've not raised ducklings before. I just read a few post down that they need to be able to dunk their nostrils in their water. Why is that and what could happen if they can't? I just raised my ducklings waterer high enough that they really can't do that. They were making such a mess sloshing water everywhere. I thought this was best for the person who must remove the wet bedding everyday (Me!). If I need to lower it I will. I just don't want them to try to swim in it.
    Thanks for any advice.[​IMG]

2. xfilesnumber1fan

xfilesnumber1fan Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Missouri
    They need to clean out their nose holes that is why they need deeper water...Just dont let them have enough to swim baby ducks can drown if not being watched...

3. hoosiergal40

hoosiergal40 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2009
    Thank you! I'll go raise their water right now.
    You have a 5lb Min Pin. We have 2 Min Pins. They are 11lbs each. But oh so loveable! If only they didn't bark so much.[​IMG]

4. Omniskies

Omniskies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Missouri
    I use water bottles for my ducklings and goslings and they're just fine. I provide a dish of water from time to time to clean their face.

Most ducklings and all of the goslings are fine to start on a 16oz water bottle (the one made for guinea pigs). As they get older they can graduate to the 32oz rabbit bottle so you're not refilling the water as quickly.

Out of everything I've tried, this has been the best method. The bedding stays dry, which makes them healthier. Plus I've noticed a lot less feed waste since they have to figure out how to eat without dumping all of their feed into the water and dabbling it out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by