1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ducklings and water

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by beerman, Jan 26, 2010.

1. beerman

beerman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Smithville, il
    I get my babies on Friday, how soon can they go for a swim? I know they need water and it would be in the house in the tub.
    Thanks

2. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    When they're young, they can swim only for short periods and definitely monitored because they're not old enough to produce oils yet.

Technically they could drown if they got waterlogged. They will love to scoot around in the tub when young...just make sure you stay with them and only make it for short periods of time.

3. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    If you are supervising, right away [​IMG]

4. beerman

beerman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Smithville, il
    I t might be the only way to get my stinky 2 year old to take a bath [​IMG]

5. foxrunbantams

foxrunbantams Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2010
    You need to wait for about 6 month before you give them a pool or pond.I have rounes/large mallards.ducks make great pets

6. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    I have given my little ones a chance to play in water about 2 inches deep at around four days old- and let them play until their fuzzy down is soaked usually only 5 minutes or so- then into warm area to dry off. Once they are about two weeks old I give them deeper water so they can really splash around and dive under the water. They love it. By around ten weeks when they go outside all day they have access to dishes and a small swimming pool.

7. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    I have a pyrex dish in my brooder with my three little guys (about 9 days old). It has about an inch and a half of water in it. They go in and out all day and have an absolutely great time! The brooder is big enough that the area under the light stays dry and warm.

8. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    i have heard its about 8 weeks? [​IMG] that seems like forever!

9. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:Would you provide us with the source of the statement "you need to wait for about 6 months before you give them a pool or pond" There is no really polite way to tell you that this is MIS-information!

10. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    I think that the thing to remember here, is that until their oil glands start producing oil, there is always a risk for them to drown. Just supervise them until their oil glands mature. Don't give them water that is too deep for them-make sure they can sit down in the water without drowning. Once they're feathers get saturated with water (no oil there and doesn't bead off) they become very heavy to themselves. It's perfectly fine to give them water to swim in...only it's more like wading in the beginning [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by