Ducklings arriving next week-can I have a broody chicken sit with them?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by petesgirl, Sep 12, 2014.

1. petesgirl

petesgirl Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2010
    Seattle
    I have 10 runners arriving soon. I was wondering if I could keep my bantam frizzle with them to keep them warm instead of a heat lamp. They will all be inside and it is not cold here yet. Will this be bad if the ducklings think frizzle is momma, or is it ok?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I doubt your bantam frizzle will even want to keep them warm. Mine would probably run for her life if I put her with ducklings unless she hatched them herself. Best to use a heat lamp. Also a chicken even a bantam one could hurt very young ducklings. Some info on caring for ducklings. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/750869/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings#post_10611711

Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
  3. petesgirl

petesgirl Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2010
    Seattle
    Thank you!
    My frizzle seems to be out of her broody mood now so she probably wouldn't be a good mom. I always worry about heat lamps being too hot or causing a fire, even though I have never had anything bad happen with them. I am so excited! Getting their new home set up this weekend.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    to
    Be sure to post pics. and make sure you have a digital thermometer to keep track of temps in brooder. make sure heat lamp is secured well. I bought a couple of really nice heat lamps from Premier 1 I really like them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by