Ducklings attacking chicks!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jenniferlamar70, May 4, 2016.

1. jenniferlamar70

jenniferlamar70 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2016
    Northern California
    So I've been slowly trying to introduce my ducklings to my baby chicks. All has gone well with my wyandottes and easter eggers. I bought in my 2nd to last group, my bantams. The bigger chickens and bantams did well but my ducklings are attacking the bantams even once grabbing a wing with its beak. I don't want my chicks hurt but I don't want to have to get rid of my ducks either. Any suggestions on what to do? If I can't make it work I have a friend ready to take the ducklings so they have a good home lined up. I already love them so much though.

2. lomine

lomine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    Are you allowing them to see each other through wire or screen before putting them together?

3. jenniferlamar70

Apr 24, 2016
    Northern California
    They have been in brooders with visibility up until now. So they have all been seeing each other. Now we have put them into the run together. They don't seek the little chicks out but if they come across each other that's when the ducklings attack. The ducklings don't do it with my other chicks. Ugh not sure what to do..

4. lomine

lomine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    Maybe you could put up a temporary separator in the run so the ducks can get more used to the chicks and let the chicks get a little bigger. Or maybe some hiding places the chicks can get in but the ducks can't follow. Places to roost would work too since the ducks stay on the ground. If the ducks aren't actively seeking out the chicks or chasing them then maybe they just need time.

Last edited: May 4, 2016
  5. Jujubeans2008

Jujubeans2008 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2016
    Molino, Florida
    We separated our ducklings from our chicks during week 2 because they were sooo much bigger than our little chicks and they were accidentally hurting them. They are now at 5 weeks, with our fully grown hens and are just fine. I think that when your chicks are fully grown, that it won't be a problem. If you could separate them until that day comes, that would probably be for the best.

6. jenniferlamar70

Apr 24, 2016
    Northern California
    I could try a divider and see if it helps.

7. jenniferlamar70

Apr 24, 2016
    Northern California
    See my biggest concern is my bantams will always be very small cause they are miniature chickens. They are always going to be much smaller then the ducks. Maybe if I just give it some time.

8. Jujubeans2008

Jujubeans2008 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2016
    Molino, Florida
    I think time might help. How old are they? As ducklings get older they become more scared of EVERYTHING. I'm not very experienced, I've only had my ducklings for six weeks, but they seemed to settle down after the five week mark. They are getting better everyday.

I also think a divider is a good idea.

9. DuckGirl77

DuckGirl77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2016
    I don't know if this would apply to chickens, but when I put my younger ducklings (3 wks.) with my older ducklings (4 wks.) the big ones were mean if the little ones got in the way, so I just picked up whoever was being a bully or gently pushed her away. They eventually got along. Before I did this, I let them play together outside; I think that helped. The older ducklings are at least twice as big as the little ones, but they all get along now.

10. jenniferlamar70

Apr 24, 2016
    Northern California
    I think I will just keep trying and if all else fails try to talk my husband into making a second coop lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by