Ducklings: Been so Long.... How Long With the Heat Lamp?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by peepinglaura, Apr 15, 2009.

1. peepinglaura

peepinglaura Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    I didn't have time to get duck-savvy again before getting these cute little Pekins. I was at the hardware store, minding my own business, and there they were, so cute. My son fell in love with them. I said it was a bad time to get them because we're up to our eyeballs in chicks in brooders, and he said, "I know. I just love how they make me feel." At the lip quiver they were in our hands on the way up to the cash register. My sweet boy never asks for anything, so I figured we could make room for them.

The thing is, I ca't remember how long they need a heat lamp. Until their real feathers come in? They're indoors with us for one more week, and then off to the coop.

Thanks

Laura

2. SportTees

SportTees Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't know were your located or how the weather is there but I put mine under a lamp for 2wks then without a lamp by still in the bird building for one week then out to the co-op on ther own. hope this helps

3. peepinglaura

peepinglaura Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    I'm pretty far north in NH. It is getting warm, though. They're only a week old so I guess I have a little time to figure it out.

Thanks for the input!

Laura

4. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    I'm in TN and I just took the heat lamp off my last week. Mine are now 4 weeks old. I have 2 more ducklings (and getting 4 call ducks tomorrow..shhhhh don't tell my husband LOL) and they'll be under the heat lamp until they're 3 weeks old. If it gets really warm outside, and its supposed to, then two weeks old.

Good luck!!

Laurie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by