Ducklings being bullied

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by lunyre, Jan 29, 2014.

1. lunyre

lunyre Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2014
    my younger ducklings are being bullied by my larger drake duckling, whose about a week old.

he tries to eat their eyes because of their black colour.. and he jumps up on top of them.
    will he get used to them or continue to bully them? should I separate them all?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I would separate some way but where they can still see each other. A larger duckling can injure a smaller one. Any time ducklings are introduced just like adults it needs to be done slowly to keep anyone from getting hurt.

3. lunyre

Jan 23, 2014
    Ive been letting them "indoor freerange" lol, in my house for the past hour or so. he seems to be warmed up to them now, although he still picks at them now and then.. they flock together wherever they go. Im not exactly sure how to go about this, but it seems like theyre getting along better now. I'll keep an eye on them.. and overnight i'll separate them when i cant watch them.

i have very slippery floors though, and i havent had access to any poultry vitamins. in the next day or two im going to be recieving shipments of niacin and brewers yeast, as well as better bedding.. straw and sawdust. Theyve already improved greatly with the leg issues since ive been exercising them very frequently. Im not new to poultry but i AM new to ducks.. i think im starting to get the hang of it now slowly though haha. this forum is certainly a huge help! theyre growing up so fast too :)

If anyone wants i'll include some pictures.

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Of course we want pics. lol be careful using saw dust ducklings sometimes will eat it and it can cause an intestinal blockage. Wood shaving the flake are best. If they have just met then hopefully they will begin to get use to each other and the older will stop picking on the younger ones. Dif separate when you can't be with them.

5. lunyre

Jan 23, 2014
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

here are pics of my lovelies above^

i cleaned some of the dirt out of their feathers and took their tags off, all the little distractions that were making the bigger duck peck at them.. now he is leaving them alone moreso than before. i will still separate them at night, at least for the first week or so.

and yeah im just using sawdust as the liner to absorb water, and the straw on top as the bedding :)

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    They sure are precious, another thing is making sure they have plenty of room in their brooder because they grow so fast. Keep us updated on how things go with them.

7. lunyre

Jan 23, 2014
    next week im going to upgrade them to a dog kennel lol! a very large fenced in one. i figure that will last them till they are ready to go outside :)
    I'm also going to be buying some supplies on my next visit to the feed store in the next state... i have to travel far, but its a full-service store with monthly meetings and a lot of free services.
    I'll be getting them some grit for their treats! and some 1-gallon feeders and waterers. im gonna start construction on their aviary as soon as the snow starts melting in a month..

do you have any advice, or things I should know.. during the time it takes for them to grow up?

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I'd pick up some niacin and put in their water till around 10 weeks of age I even fed Brewers yeast which is another form till 12 weeks because this is when they are growing so fast and can develop leg weakness. Plain niacin is in expensive just be sure to ask for plain crush up and add to 1 gal of water then put into their drinking container[ 100megs]. Make sure what kind of container you use for drinking is deep enough for them to dunk their heads very important that ducks can wash their faces to keep eyes and nares clean.
    Spend as much time as you can with them not necessarily holding them because most ducks really don't like to be picked up but just sitting with them talking to them quietly this way they will be more responsive to you as they grow into adults and will look at you as their gentle care giver. But if you have to pick them up for any reason then it will be easier on them and you less stress. Sounds like a nice size brooder too. How are they doing today together. That pic of the three of them snuggling was so cute and looked very optimistic.

Here is one inexpensive waterer https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/52173/less-mess-duckling-water/10

Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
  9. lunyre

Jan 23, 2014
    theyre doing much better.. but outgrowing their brooder quickly. theyve become buddies. the two younger ducklings are OK with my existence.. they are very wary of me though and sometimes shy from me or run off.. my first duckling is still my loyal buddy though, He follows me around when the other two run away.
    I'm trying to play with them more often so that the younger two get used to me as well.. not much success so far im afraid.

10. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Try not to stand over top of them, and sit down on the floor if you can when spending time with them that way you don't look like your going to grab them and eat them, they go through so many stages. Glad to hear they have all become buddies. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by