1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ducklings bill is defective, help!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by angiegorham17, May 27, 2016.

1. angiegorham17

angiegorham17 Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2016
    Hi guys! I'm Angie, I have a 9 month old mallard, his name is goose/petey! He currently has foster siblings (baby mallards) the two of the have to be maybe 5 days old at max, their bills are nothing I've ever seen before.. It looks like you took to Pringles and stuck them in your mouth to make a duck face, I will attach a photo. They can eat and drink, just a little harder for them, the just can't close the front properly cause it curls opposite directions (upper curls up, lower curls downward) Any idea what causes this, anything I can do to help since they are still growing? Any Input would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks so much smile.png[​IMG]

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    That bill does not look good! However, I'm not a duck person. I would recommend starting another thread in the "Emergencies/Diseases/Injuries and Cures" or the "Ducks" section.

3. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    :woot

I agree with what BantamFan said, you'd probably have better luck in the "ducks" section.

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
    CT

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Did you buy them or hatch them yourself? Sometimes incubator issues can cause defects. I agree you should post on the duck thread. I would imagine with the beak always open their mouth would dry out faster - so I would suggest they always have plenty of water available. If they were not incubator hatched, I would think this is an inherited defect since two are like this. Also the situation could worsen as they grow larger.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by