1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ducklings/Brewer's Yeast

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by skirbo, Jan 22, 2009.

1. skirbo

skirbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Walton County, NW FL
    So, all I can find here is a general growth formula for all fowl, including ducklings. One of my little guys, just now four weeks, went splaylegged on one leg (either overnight or I just now noticed it, which seems unlikely) so I went to get Brewer's Yeast. I crunched up some tablets and put it in the food, but I'm wondering if the drinking water isn't a better delivery system for that?

Anyone with more experience that can say?

Sarah

2. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    i've never used brewer's yeast myself, so i don't know it's it okay for any other ducklings drinking the water to drink it too... I know you can tie their legs together with a piece of string to help their legs heal right.... like this-

[​IMG]

3. skirbo

Jul 18, 2008
    Walton County, NW FL
    Thanks, but I'm pretty incompetent with things like that. Thpt. I've read about using the brewer's yeast here for the ducklings because they need the niacin. I just can't recall if you can treat their water with it or not, to try and ensure everyone gets equal amounts of it. They all need it, even though only the one has the leg problem.

Sarah

4. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    If your duckling has spraddle leg, brewers yeast won't help.

The duckling needs to be on a rough surface for traction like paper toweling or a rubber shelf liner, not newspaper or other slick material.

The legs should be tied as shown above to put them in proper position. You can also use a bandaid.

Just put the bandaid square between the legs and wrap the ends around the legs so it sticks there and holds the legs in proper position.

If caught soon enough it may only take a few days to straighten up. You will need to remove and replace the bandaid every day or 2 as their little legs grow so fast.

Make sure it is not too tight as to cut off circulation.

If this happened overnight with an older duckling, it is an injury. Keep him separated and on a rough surface.

Good luck!

5. skirbo

Jul 18, 2008
    Walton County, NW FL
    Thanks Terrie. I'll have to separate him. I am not sure of the definition of 'spraddle legged' but the crooked joint is in the 'knee', not the 'hip' area. Will he be warm enough without a light bulb? They are all in a spare bedroom in my house. He's four weeks old and a good bit bigger than the chick in the picture. If it's an injury do I still need to tie the legs as described?

Thanks,
    Sarah

6. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    If it is a sprain or injury, then no. Just let him rest or put him in water to float and take the pressure off. If he is pretty much fully feathered you can leave him there for an hour or so a couple times a day. I would use lukewarm water.

7. skirbo

Jul 18, 2008
    Walton County, NW FL
    Thanks very much!

Sarah

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by