Ducklings & Chicks - Raising Them Together?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by OldGuy43, Mar 25, 2013.

1. A good idea.

3 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. A bad idea.

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. Possible, but not a good idea.

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

I know this has been discussed at length before, but...

OldGal and I are getting 6 duckling and 6 chicks, all hens, Khaki Campbells and Red Sex Links next month from Ideal. Our current plan is to raise them together from the start, to adolescent size before introducing them to our current flock of the same breeds and sex.

Is this a good idea, yes or no?

2. mnferalkitty

mnferalkitty Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2012
    Minnesota
    I raise ducklings and chicks together for a short time, Ducklings are so MESSY they tend to get the brooder too wet for the chicks so once they start making to much of a mess they get their own brooder

3. ErinEliz

ErinEliz Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2013
    New Hampshire
    I have had both chicks and ducklings in the past and agree that they make everything their own personal pond. I found that they were much too messy and made everything too wet for the chicks. The other concern that I have read about is that you are not able to feed duckings medicated chick starter because they will eat too much of the medication and get sick, just another thing to keep in mind. Good luck with the little guys/girls, post pics :)

4. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

My plan calls for feeding them all game bird starter. From what I've read there isn't any reason not to. [​IMG]

5. furbabymum

furbabymum Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2012
    Burns, Wyoming
    Too messy and I liked giving my ducklings a bit of a pan to swim around in. I'd be afraid a chicken would drown itself. They're all together as adults though.

6. jkhenry

jkhenry Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2013
    picayune,ms
    i have 2 ducks and 8 chicks all are 9 weeks old they have been incoop together for 4 weeks and get alongfine andyes ducks are a lil messy i have a 24x16 coop and run and havea small pool for th ducks to swim in and put in far corner of pen the coop is 8x8 and i never put food or water in so it stays dry for chicks and ducks to sleep and roost my chicks dont roost much at nite yet but do sleep in a bundle behind the ducks at nite now they are one big happy family they had seperate brooders when i got them

7. TheeMrWright

TheeMrWright Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2013
    South central illinois
    I've got 5 ducks and 8 chicks, all hens. All in the same coop and run! 4 and 5 weeks old. They have all been together since the beginning. Du is have a small swimming pool in the corner of the run. They are extremely messy but as soon as they began playin in the waterer in the coop I pulled the food an waterer and left just the food and water in the run with access to it for both 24/7! As long as you keep it all clean I believe you'd have no problem raising them together!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by