1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ducklings & Chicks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chickenlady2010, Apr 21, 2017.

1. chickenlady2010

chickenlady2010 Just Hatched

Apr 21, 2017
    So my husband volunteered for us (primarily me) to care for our friends' teen daughter's ducklings that she got from a boy. I just got them less than 30 minutes ago. We put them in with the chicks, and the ducks are being bullies (here I thought the chicks would be the bullies and peck at them or something). My husband isn't home yet, but anybody have any advice? I temporarily put them back in the guinea pig cage she brought them in, but I need something to get done about this quickly because they are out in the chilly garage right now. I REALLY don't want to pay for a second heat lamp to keep the ducks separate from the chicks. I really want them all to coexist peacefully. I'm hoping they'll bring their chicken tractor out soon so that I can put them all in there for a bit each day, which would give the ducks to swim in a livestock feed pan for a bit. Did I mention there are 21 chicks and 2 ducklings? I also noticed how extremely messy the ducks are with the water, so I need to figure out something there; I'll look through my cleaned out sour cream containers and such with lids to see what I have that might work for the ducks to drink out of, to keep the box from getting so wet. All friendly advice is appreciated. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    She must have not kept them together---if they are not getting alone. How old are the chicks? Ducks usually do good without heat----unless you live in a freezing place.

3. chickenlady2010

Apr 21, 2017
    Oh, I should probably clarify that the 21 chicks are ours. The 2 ducklings are what belongs to our friends. I know the messy water all over the place is not good for the chicks while they are young, right? We've always used newspaper (it's free [​IMG]) for the chick's bedding, without any problem, but the water from the ducks just destroys the newspaper.

4. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    LOL, OK I would NEVER bring outside(from other people) birds/ducks/chicks and put them with mine. I was just talking to a Guy at Tractor Supply a little earlier----his friend bought 2 chicks from a Auction and ask it he could put the 2 with this guys 30+ chicks----sure he said---6 days later there was only 7 still living----those 2 died and almost 30 of his.

Put the ducks in a clothes basket and keep them away from your chicks. News paper unshredded "Can" cause leg problems with chicks, but sounds like you been luck with that.

5. chickenlady2010

Apr 21, 2017
    Problem solved! [​IMG] Short version: Ducks were put in a chicken tractor. Outside dog tries to destroy chicken tractor to get to the ducks so he can eat them. Ducks get a new home with the great-uncle. lol [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by