DUcklings coming.a few shelter questions HELP

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by okiechick57, Sep 29, 2007.

1. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Another question about babie ducks...... I will be getting 3 tomorrow. I had spent the week building a serparate area for all the Muscovies and had planned on keeping the little ones inside.........BUT the Muscovies will only go in to the same coop they have been with my chickens, which is fine with me really..... the ducklings will be about 3 weeks old, and I was hoping to keep them outside in the new coop and run with a heat lamp and box..... it is covered all around....the temps here at the lowest at night are in 60's and 80's during the day...........would this work for the ducklings? any help will be appreciated......

2. hatchcrazzzy

hatchcrazzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2007
    kemp texas
    that will work for them as far as heat but keep them dry as far as weather or at least 3 or 4 more weeks

3. bantymum

bantymum Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi there congrats on getting ducklings, My ducklings started swimming with their mum at 3 days old!!! so cute.
    Chickencrazzy mentioned to keep them dry, Im not sure why they need to be kept dry, because they do love their swims. Perhaps because they dont have mum to show them how to dry off?? naaahhhh, they know, mine are now 2 weeks old and are in the mud and water most of the time.
    They have a little waterhole which is their favourite spot to walk around in. They dont get in their deep pool that often.
    Have fun with the cuties.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2007
  4. ml

ml Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    It is important to keep them dry cuase, if no mom duck they will get cold and die. The mom will coat them with oil from her to make them water proof. They do love water with or without mom, just they need to stay warm, seems they get chilled easily.

I keep all of mine with a light till they feather out. On last batch for the year here.

ML

5. bantymum

Thanks for that, I was wondering why.
    I havent seen the mumma duck coat them with oil yet, do you know how she does it?
    Mine do get cold and stand there shivering as mumma doesnt go near them, but they stand in the sun and shake the water off.

6. okiechick57

Thanks ladies [​IMG] I will make sure they stay pretty much dry....... I am excited !

7. bantymum

Hi Okiechick,
    I wasnt very with it last night when i posted I had a head injury and was suffering from foot in mouth disease!!!
    Anyhow best to err on the side of caution with the water!
    as you are doing.
    Im still learning about duckies myself!!!
    Have a great time with them

8. okiechick57

[​IMG] Meet Inky Dinky and Winky..named by my granddaughter....... they are SOOOOOOOoo cute..
    [​IMG]
    t\\The bigger Muscovy's are not to happy losing the pool for the day !
    [​IMG]
    And here is my Emma,giving the welcome to gamma's house kisses [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    sooo cute. I have been looking for ducklings around here but can't seem to find any. Great photos!!

10. okiechick57

Here is a better pic of the babies [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by