Ducklings Defined... (general question)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Darkjeweler, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Darkjeweler

Darkjeweler Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2011
    Sanford
    I have Appleyard and Runner ducks which are housed together. Only the Runners are laying right now, but they are mating like crazy with the Appleyard and Runner drakes. Does anyone know how to tell what the duckling is once it hatches? I know I will possably have either pure Runners or a mix of both breeds. I just wonder if there is a good what to tell once hatched.

I currently have eggs in the incubator. Out of 27 original eggs set on the 20th, I have 25 that are still developing strong. This is my first attempt at hatching, but from what I have read these little guys are doing really well.

Mike-

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    What colors are your runners?

It could be tough to be sure right after hatching, depending on the colors at least. I saw soon after my day old runners arrived how they stood up pretty straight, so that may be an early clue. Then again, not all runners are the most upright . . . .

3. Darkjeweler

Aug 16, 2011
    Sanford
  4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Wow, this is where we need to call on forum members who understand color genetics. There are a number of them out here. Somewhere.

So, are these just the runner drakes?

Nice pics!

5. Darkjeweler

Aug 16, 2011
    Sanford
    No, those are picks of all the ducks. There are some descriptions at the bottom of most of the pics.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by