Ducklings Died?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by horsaholic, Apr 12, 2012.

1. horsaholic

horsaholic New Egg

Apr 12, 2012
    I am so confused! I got myself two ducklings two weeks ago. They have been so happy and healthy, running around outside, swimming, they had voracious appetites and they always has fresh water. Today I changed their food to crumbles for bigger 2 week+ ducklings and they both died tonight within half an hour of each other. I know that medicated chicken food is not good for them so I made sure to ask specifically for duck food. Other than the food, nothing else in their lives has changed. Is it possible for their change in diet to have killed them both that fast or is there another explanation.

Oh, and they had both gone to the vet this afternoon where they were weighed and given a checkup. The vet said they were healthy and growing like weeds, so I don't know of any other cause. Has this happend to anyone else???

Thanks and RIP to my poor tiny friends. :'(

2. Mum

Mum Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2011
    UK
    No advice, but so sorry to hear your story [​IMG] I would doubt it was the change in food per se.

BTW, welcome to the forums.

3. MsLisaG

MsLisaG Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! I'm so sorry to hear about your babies. :( Is there a chance that they could have gotten to something in the yard that might have done it?

4. horsaholic

horsaholic New Egg

Apr 12, 2012
    Only one of them was in the yard today. So I doubt that something in the yard did it... only the food and their trip to the doctor was the difference in their day to day living

5. MsLisaG

MsLisaG Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2012
    Northern California
    Hmm... that is strange. I don't really have any ideas, but maybe someone else might? Sorry again. :(

1 person likes this.
  6. GrannyCarol

GrannyCarol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2011
    Washington
    That's very strange. Can you give us the brand and any information on the package as to the new food? A change in diet shouldn't bother them, but maybe there is something wrong with the food itself?

I'm so sorry for your loss, that is just plain awful.

7. m.kitchengirl

m.kitchengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Maine
    Could they have picked something up at the vet?

8. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I'm wondering the same. I didn't even know you could take a duck to a wellness check at a vet, last year when i had a duckling attacked by a coon i couldn't even get a vet to come to the farm let alone allow me to bring it in, unless i wanted it put down.

I'm sorry for your loss though.

9. horsaholic

horsaholic New Egg

Apr 12, 2012
    I was referred to the only vet in the city who will look at ducks. I know not many will but I agree that either there is something in the food itself or they got sick at the vet. The food is a brand from Feed-Rite, and there are directions on it that say it's a starter feed for ducks and geese. So it shouldn't be medicated and nothing could have gotten into it as I just bought it yesterday. So maybe they did pick something up from the vet. Could they have been affected that fast?

10. Mum

Mum Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2011
    UK
    Now armed with my "Storey's Guide to raising ducks" (I thoroughly recommend it, btw) sudden death in ducks/ducklings could be due to heart attacks, blood clots, choking, exposure to toxic gases (car journey? [​IMG]) heat stroke, seizures. Because they are little ducklings, I'm wondering if maybe the journey to the vets could have rattled them around a bit? Or, maybe the fumes in the car? Or, perhaps they choked on the food? (Depending on the size of the pieces). Did you give them grit?

Will you be getting some more? Seems such a very short time to have had, and lost, your ducklings.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by