Ducklings don't like being warm?

blakeiam

Hatching
5 Years
Oct 11, 2014
Hi I have four Pekin and one Khaki that dont seem to like to be in their warm house at night. As of monday they are only 3 weeks old but already pushing three pounds(the pekins anyway). I live in the city and dont have a problem with night time predetors and when I get home from work they are all just sitting in the middle of their pen instead of in the house where the heat lamp is located is this normal i thought they liked it be in the 80-90 range at this age? They have been just in a brooder in my garage up until Sunday when I finished the run. My night time temps have been in the low 50s. When I get home from work around 11pm I usually heard them into their house and close the door because I am afraid of them being too cold. I know they are not too hot once in the house cause they will sit right under the heat lamp instead of in the far corners away from it..

Any input would be appreciated

thanks blake

Because ducks grow so quickly, they start tolerating a wider range of temperature sooner than chickens. The low 50's isn't too bad for a couple of hours, but if their is a chance they could be wet from splashing in their water bowl, then it might still be a good idea to herd them into the house until they have developed their feathers more fully. You could probably drop the wattage of the heat lamp. The 70's range would be fine for an extended period of time.

Once they are fully feathered adults they can really tolerate cold temperatures. When I had ducks, they never wanted to be under their shelters even with cold Michigan winters.

80-90* temps is way to warm for 3 week old ducklings scratch' n' peck has good advise. between 70-75 is good temps for 3 week olds.

Welcome to BYC.

Im just letting them do their thing now they like to sit in there during the day and out at night

Are you sure they are safe from predators? Cats, dogs, hawks, possums, big rats - all those can be found in cities. Raccoons, too. This is a big concern of mine, please bear with me.

Back
Top Bottom