Ducklings Dying Off - Water Is Related

smoknz28

Songster
Mar 7, 2012
Central Virginia, USA
Very strange.....something I'm not use to dealing with though I have minimal knowledge of raising ducklings.

About 3 years ago we raised 6-ducklings into adults and no problems.... We took the same approach and started raising 6 more.

We got into our 3rd week of raising them....which they were already a couple weeks old....so just over a month old. About our first week in owning them we decided to fill up the bathtub around 4 inches with water and let them play. Wow! They loved it....such a pleasure watching them. Okay, we let them swim around for about 15 minutes. All was well.

We continued doing this until a week ago...we noticed that two of the ducklings would....well, I am not sure how to describe this.... Uh, they would lose their equilibrium. They couldn't stand up and they would flop on their sides or backs trying hard to upright themselves. We snatched them up and covered them in a towel to dry them off and to hold them still thinking it would pass. Sure enough...about 15 minutes later...they were good to go again. So, as we let them outside to play, now that the weather got warmer....we would watch them play in the water just in case any of them had this issue again. Sure enough...it would happen to the same two and we would do the same thing.

Yesterday, I let the ducklings out to play and started working on the farm. I forgot about this issue...and well...after checking on them an hour later...we did have a miniature pool with around 3 inches of water on one end of it and maybe an inch of water on the opposite end of it. One of the ducklings drowned and I'm sure it's because of this issue. Just couldn't upright itself I bet. I felt really bad....

Now...on to today. I kept the ducklings in their cage and gave them water, which they can't swim in...only drink from. They all looked fine....went off and did some more work on the farm....came back to check on them and another one died. Huh??? My ***-umption here is that they are drinking and waterlogging themselves. I just don't know or understand. Seems like they are constantly drinking....

Anyone have insight on this to share with me? I'm confused and don't want to lose anymore.

Thank you.

Sounds to me like there was just something wrong with those 2 and just a matter of time. I'd watch the others for signs of the same.
Sorry about your loss of those two.

Sounds to me like there was just something wrong with those 2 and just a matter of time. I'd watch the others for signs of the same.
Sorry about your loss of those two.

Yes, very weird that water would have anything to do with this...after all...they are ducks.

Thank you TLWR.

My first thought is vitamin deficiency. I would add vitamins.

Clint

Thanks Clint. I'll head to Tractor Supply tomorrow and see what they have for vitamins. Never gave ducklings vitamins before...so I don't know what to look for.

I don't know what really the issue is here with them...but we are bummed for them.

Yes, very weird that water would have anything to do with this...after all...they are ducks.

Thank you TLWR.

Thanks Clint. I'll head to Tractor Supply tomorrow and see what they have for vitamins. Never gave ducklings vitamins before...so I don't know what to look for.

I don't know what really the issue is here with them...but we are bummed for them.
A good poultry vitamin one is Poultry Nutri Drench but there are others too you just mix in their water by directions. Ducks and ducklings spend alot of time drinking and playing in water that part is normal. very sorry for your loss.

I just read your post, and had a question. What kind of food are you feeding your ducks? Many feed stores sell people medicated food that would normally be for baby chicks. If it is medicated, it causes all sorts of neurological problems in ducks.

I had the good fortune to study for two and a half years with a woman who had been working with waterfowl for more than twenty years. We saw exactly what you are describing in some ducklings. Many times, the people were feeding the wrong food. Occasionally, the ducklings would turn upside down and could not right themselves with no apparent cause. With these ducklings, we monitored them and many grew out of it in time.

I just read your post, and had a question. What kind of food are you feeding your ducks? Many feed stores sell people medicated food that would normally be for baby chicks. If it is medicated, it causes all sorts of neurological problems in ducks.

I had the good fortune to study for two and a half years with a woman who had been working with waterfowl for more than twenty years. We saw exactly what you are describing in some ducklings. Many times, the people were feeding the wrong food. Occasionally, the ducklings would turn upside down and could not right themselves with no apparent cause. With these ducklings, we monitored them and many grew out of it in time.

I have been feeding them, since we purchased them...and still.... the DuMor Chick Starter/Grower 20% Feed. The other Ducklings are doing very well....we started with 6 and are now down to 3. Ack!

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/dumorreg;-chick-starter-grower-20%-10-lb

Back
Top Bottom