Ducklings dying

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by aohare, Feb 10, 2016.

1. aohare

aohare Out Of The Brooder

Jan 7, 2016
    Spring Hill
    Hello,

I had 4 day old ducklings, 2 Pekins and 2 Campbells that I brought home from a local breeder last week.

I lost 1 on the first day but I've had that issue with day olds and transplant shock before, even in the warm brooder that one seemed to never perk up like the others did, she died within a few hours.

The others have been fine for a week, I filled the water in their brooder box this morning and noticed the temperature in the brooder was lower than normal, my brooder has two thermostats, one for the "cold" side and one for the "hot" side. The cold was set to 88 and the hot to 95 which is where I normally keep it for the first 10 days or so then I slowly begin lowering it. It had gotten down to 89 on the hot side last night and my backup bulb that is supposed to turn on when the temp drops burned out in the night

Anyways I noticed them chirping a lot about 2 hours later and went to check on them, 1 was dead (the remaining Campbell) and the other two were acting weird, while I was removing the dead one, one of the Pekins arched straight up, its head turned 180 degrees, and it fell over, I've never had a bird die like that.

I got the two of them out of there and got my other brooder set up for the now one remaining duckling since I was now going to have to bleach this one, by the time I got back the final duckling was the same as the other head turned and completely limp at this point. I picked her up and couldn't hear breathing or see any sign of trauma.

I placed her with the others in the brooder I was going to have to disinfect and figured it would be a good place to leave them while I call the breeder, I was worried there may be a disease in the flock. I came back out after about an hour phone call (he lost about 10% of the litter but he blamed the cold snap and bad mothers), and found the last one that had appeared to have died chirping at me...

I went to pick her up and she can only reliably move have of her body, when she runs from me she just flips herself over and gets stuck, one leg seems to move fine, the other moves but barely at all.

Shes chirping fine and is drinking with the water in front of her.

Any thoughts as to what this could be or what could have killed the others, they all died exactly the same way but somehow this one survived with stoke like symptoms.

Also, any thoughts on chance of improvement? I hate to cull her if she could get better but I also hate to see her live in pain and she does seem to be in pain when she tries to move.

Please any advice or thoughts?

AO

2. aohare

aohare Out Of The Brooder

Jan 7, 2016
    Spring Hill
    Okay so to add to the confusion the one that had stroke like symptoms yesterday appears nearly normal today. She's chirping a lot but this is her first day alone,I don't want to introduce her to any other birds in case she is sick, but I'm so confused, yesterday I would have sworn she died, today shes almost back to normal.

AO

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by