Ducklings eating the cardboard!

JStark

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 10, 2009
A couple of my ducklings have taken to eating the cardboard edging their brooder. Should I be overly worried? How can I stop them? I can't tape it or cover it in plastic, as I have a sneaky suspicion that would be far, far worse.

They must need fiber in their diet!
lau.gif
gig.gif

Sorry I could not help myself. I don't have an answer for ya!

we had Indian Runners do that last year, we had them in a kiddie pool and when they got big enough to jump out I got the bright idea to put cardboard around it to keep them in. They had a fun time eating it. I ended up using hardware cloth to keep them in. The cardboard they ate didn't seem to slow them down at all but I'm sure it wasn't good for them.

Steve in NC

mine always pick at the cardboard and eat it..I have never lost a duck so yours should be fine. It keeps them busy.

i wouldn't worry... mine have eaten cardboard many many many times... One time we had to pull a corugated piece out from the roof my Victor's mouth. Considering the other weird things i've seen them eat, i would not worry about cardboard that much. lol.

also, if you get them a toy, like something that jingles (like a parrot toy from a pet store, the kinds that DON'T have the calcium block things on them), it'll help keep them busy. I got them the kind that's four small balls that have bells inside of them.... I can hear them jingling every morning....

I never thought to give them toys. Zeus has some cat toys he isn't playing with I could try on Uno. I always just throw a bug or worm in the brooder
big_smile.png

Last edited:
I just stole my sun conures' bell-ball that she throws relentlessly ...and the geese love it!! the ducks are not sure of it...but the geese are having...a ball!!!

TRY THIS! Thye really do like it...I figured it was another kooky thing to try that hubby would laugh at me for...

Quote:
I never thought about bugs! lol... Though i'm not too keen on bringing bugs in my house... knowing us, we'd accidentally let them loose all over the house and my dum dums would run scared of them. lol

I will definitely be buying a toy today.

I have a feeling my eggs are going to be brown, corrugated, and easily shipped.

Back
Top Bottom