1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Duckling's eye won't close all the way.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by sustainabee, Mar 10, 2016.

1. sustainabee

sustainabee New Egg

Mar 10, 2016
    Central texas
    I just bought two buff ducklings and one of them can't close her eye all the way. She can close one but the other stays part way open when she's sleeping. I'm worried it might cause damage to her eye. Should I try eyedrops? I can't seem to get a good picture and nothing else appears wrong with the eye.

2. PotatoWaffles

PotatoWaffles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2014
    Northwest Ohio
    Does she have hardened shell goo stuck around her eye? This happened with one of my ducklings I hatched. She was stuck in the shell too long and had a lot of hardened membrane on her head and side. I noticed she couldn't close her outer eyelids, only the inner eyelids. I made up a warm bath in the sink and got her completely soaked (hated doing it since she was only a day old) and I very carefully used wet q-tips to wipe around her eyes and her body, and just worked at it until I got it all off. Took a little while. But then I warmed her up with a towel and an hour later she was fluffy as could be and could close both eyes just fine.

3. sustainabee

sustainabee New Egg

Mar 10, 2016
    Central texas
    There was a little bit of hardness on the feathers by her eye. I might try cleaning around the eye with warm water and q tips. Will let you know if that does the trick! Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by