Ducklings from Orscheln. Mallard v. Rouen?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Jknigge, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Jknigge

Jknigge Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2012
    Missouri
    I am really wanting some Rouen ducklings but just starting out don't want to spend the HUGE amount of money to order them from a hatchery, I only need 4 total since my brother in law is getting 2. From what I have read on the hatchery websites to sell Mallards they have to clip the toe. My question is will the ducklings at Orscheln have a toe clipped if they are mallards? I REALLY want these rouen's but am afraid to get them if they are accidentally mallards. I don't want to have to clip wings or worry about them flying away. I have no cue what hatchery they get theirs from, but if they don't end up with what I am wanting today (either Rouen or Khaki Campbell) then I will see if they can order me in 4 Rouens with their next order. I didn't know if the toe clipping was something that had to be done everywhere.

2. tweetysvoice

tweetysvoice Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2011
    Lawrence, KS
    My Coop
    I will look closer at the toes of my Orschlen's duckling. I thought I was getting a Rouen, but have been told by many people here that I got a Mallard. That's fine with me, but I can understand why you want what you want. I'll check tonight and see if Goose (that's her name) has a missing toe or not.

3. country_girl011

country_girl011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    ohio
    mallards have 1 eye stripe.
    and rouens have 2

4. Jknigge

Mar 21, 2012
    Missouri
    Tweety-Thanks let me know what your duckling looks like. Maybe you did get a Rouen.

Country Girl- I have heard that about the 2 stripes and the one stripe but from the pictures I have seen online I have trouble telling if it is 2 full stripes or just a little mark of a stripe counts. Last week they had some that were either Rouen or Mallard I am not sure as we weren't at that point looking at getting anymore. Now that one of our 2 turkeys is dead my mom decided to get the kids 2 new ducklings. EW want to get something different then what we already have. We are either getting 2 Rouen's or 2 Khaki campbells. I would rather have the Rouens but we will see what they end up having. Thank for the input if anyone else has any input please feel free to comment.

5. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Like country girl said, mallards 1, rouens 2. I went to my co-op today, and saw 2 babies that looked like rouen. But one was VERY tiny, and 1 was big. the big had 2 stripes, the small had 1. when you see those kinda have stripes, under the full one, thats not really a stripe. the one that goes all the way across the eye is the stripe... Good luck!!!

6. Jknigge

Mar 21, 2012
    Missouri

OK so you all are saying that the Rouens have 2 definate stripes then. I wondered. I really want Rouens but don't want to accidently get some Mallards. Hopefully they will get their ducklings in today and we can go get them. with my luck they won't even have rouens or mallards so I won't have to worry about it. The Khaki Campbells will be great also though. Thank you all for your help.

It wasn't that I didn't trust the stripe thing was just worried about misjudging the stripe and getting the wrong breed. Thanks again for all of your help.

7. tweetysvoice

tweetysvoice Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2011
    Lawrence, KS
    My Coop
    double checked my Mallard I got from Orschlens and s/he doesn't have any toes missing, so that's not an indication at all. Good luck with finding what you are looking for!

8. cecosugi

cecosugi Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2012
    KC MO
    I got 5 little rouen/mallards from Orscheln's last week. My hubby was there when they opened the crates, and took all 5 of the rouen/mallard looking ones. I didn't really care what I got, but I figured they were all the same type. They looked about the same size, but 3 have obvious second stripes, and 2 have less obvious second stripes--more of a slash. In this video, you can see what I mean.

And there's a size difference. Last night I noticed that some of them suddenly have bigger bills. The littlest one (that dunks and dives a lot) has 2 obvious stripes, and the 2 biggest ones have 2 obvious stripes.

I'm guessing they are all rouens.

I guess that didn't answer your question. [​IMG]

Edit to add: None of them have missing toes.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  9. country_girl011

country_girl011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    ohio
    rouen

[​IMG]

mallard
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by