Ducklings fussing!

duckins

Songster
7 Years
Dec 29, 2012
Gladys, Va
Hi all happy to report our 4 runners are still doing good and no hawks outside today whew! Question though the 4 babies are very vocal you think oh no someone's hurts I go running to washroom their fine they look at me and I talk/sing they go about their business check water food temp. and poo mess alls good go about my business they start raising fuss again and this goes on and on even though its sweet and doesn't bother me. My 11 other ducks brooded at different times never acted this way they were very quiet. Is there something wrong with them I am missing we spend a lot of time with them me and 4 teens so someone's always fooling with them especially since Lulas passing.

I think they are just going through a stage that they would naturally be following their mother duck around and would quack like crazy if she were not in sight. When I raised ducks a while ago, they eventually outgrew the separation anxiety, but I can't really remember how long it took them.

Hi all happy to report our 4 runners are still doing good and no hawks outside today whew! Question though the 4 babies are very vocal you think oh no someone's hurts I go running to washroom their fine they look at me and I talk/sing they go about their business check water food temp. and poo mess alls good go about my business they start raising fuss again and this goes on and on even though its sweet and doesn't bother me. My 11 other ducks brooded at different times never acted this way they were very quiet. Is there something wrong with them I am missing we spend a lot of time with them me and 4 teens so someone's always fooling with them especially since Lulas passing.
Sounds like you have all the bases covered, maybe they just like ya'lls company. maybe getting them a stuffed animal or a mirror that they can see themselves in[with safe edges] might help. or just keep on the way you are, they'll eventually look at you like you grew a few horns when they get a little older.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/680085/house-duck-toys look at post 9

Last edited:
Too cute we'll checkout baby section at Walmart tonight for mirror and stuffed animals 4 teens no stuffed animals just electronic devices lol

Runners are crazy little things. ;) Because they are seeing people so much it probably is just them calling to "mom". Thats why they calm when you go in.

Too cute we'll checkout baby section at Walmart tonight for mirror and stuffed animals 4 teens no stuffed animals just electronic devices lol
What no stuffies? hey I'm an old lady well not that old and I have stuffed animals, well I picked some up at the Good will for my ducklings a couple years ago.

Y'all tell me if BB looks content others by the way are to busy eating! Excuse her she's camera shy

Precious!

My runner ducks prefer my company. Nice to have a fan club, isn't it? So they would be content for a while, then holler for me. They still do that, since their night shelter is in the basement, I can hear them. They call for me sometimes, just to see me.

Back
Top Bottom