Ducklings getting ready to hatch

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by SnapHappii, Apr 1, 2009.

1. SnapHappii

SnapHappii Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2009
    I've had duck eggs in the bator and a few days ago one started to hatch, it sadly didn't make it out of the shell [​IMG] Could anything I have done caused this? I have one who has pipped today, but the pip was on the bottom of the shell. Is that normal?

2. SnapHappii

Mar 14, 2009
  3. SnapHappii

Mar 14, 2009
    Anyone?

4. crazy cat lady

crazy cat lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2008
    NW Illinois
    [​IMG]I don't know! Hopefully someone will come along andbe able to answer for you. Wish I could of been of some kind of help for you. [​IMG]

5. kwack

kwack Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2009
    Delaware County
    We just finished our hatch yesterday. [​IMG] I did use a carton after using an auto turner. In the home stretch I ended up removing them from the carton as it seemed gravity could actually help them hatch and I think it was easier once they had zipped a bit of the shell. Not really sure because it was our first hatch and I think I was just impatient and worried.

As for the wrong end pip, I remember reading that someone else dealt with that on BYC but I can't find the thread so I can't remember the recommendations or outcome. Sorry.

We did lose on the day before hatch day.[​IMG] The shell had gone dark and blotchy from the inside and then the 'ling wasn't moving anymore.

The rest of them are doing great.

Good luck with your hatch.

kwack

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by