1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ducklings hatched- what do you think they are? :)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by learycow, Jan 25, 2012.

1. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    So my babies started hatching yesterday (6 days early!). Here's what I have running together right now: Pekins, campbells, harlequins, blue swedish, fawn and white runners, cayuga, muscovy, buff, and ancona.
    I think the 2 lighter ones are blue swedish, but the facial stripes are throwing me off! What are your thoughts?
    The darker one I think is a khaki campbell.

[​IMG]

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    They could be a runner mix

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    All I know is they sure a precious!!!

4. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    The light ones do look like swedish, I'm thinking they are runner swedish crosses... really cute babies! the dark looks like a cayuga, a khaki, or cayuga khaki cross. Looks like a cross.... How many more are there to go?

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  5. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    They are very cute, but the llikely hood they are any one breed is slim. Mix bred ducklings who may or may not show their mixes as they get older.

6. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    Yeah, I am aware they are most likely crosses. I just like to get others opinions as to what they think they could be :)
    Duckgirl: I have one more dark one drying in the incubator. There are 9 left to go. These hatched early. They weren't due until the 28th! They were all collected within 2 days of each other, and placed in the incubator at the same time. So I'm not sure why these decided to come early!

7. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    How precious!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by