Ducklings hatching at different times?? UPDATE WITH NEW QUESTION!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Quailpower, Nov 16, 2010.

1. Quailpower

Quailpower Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2010
    Aspatria, Cumbria
    Ok I had 11 viable eggs in the bator, went in to lockdown yesterday and when I got home from work today there was one nearly fully fluffed chick in the bator.

I saw him because im sad and have hooked a cheap cctv up inside my bator to resist the urge to open it. Because he was almost fully fluffed and rofling around quite a bit we quickly scooped him out and put him in the preheated brooder.

Now my question is, do you think my other eggs will hatch? All my other hatches have cracked out at about the same time.

Thanks!

------------------------UPDATE------------------------------------

Ok so I went into lockdown at 9AM on the 15th, Its now nearly 9PM on the 17th so its beeeeennn...... 60 hours or two and a half days.

As I said I've had one pop out after 24 hours and (i Think) some external pipping on the others.

How long should I wait before taking a peek?

Thanks

Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
  2. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

A hatch over several days is normal. There is always one that is in a rush and one that takes forever. Good luck with your hatch.

3. Quailpower

Jul 18, 2010
    Aspatria, Cumbria
    Quote:Wonderful thanks! Put my mind at ease. Ive only ever hatched quails and they all seem to pop out at once lol!

4. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

Just saw your screen name. Quails pop out in seconds compared to ducks. Ducks are really slow and take up to 2 days from the external pip. I think the slowest quail I had took like 15 minutes from pip to hatch. They are speedy for sure.

5. Quailpower

Jul 18, 2010
    Aspatria, Cumbria
    Yeah mine were usually 5-10 mins from pipping to flopping around on the floor. I guess Ill have to learn patience for this hatch, glad I installed the cctv tho its great

6. Quailpower

Jul 18, 2010
    Aspatria, Cumbria
    On the plus side our first chick is doing excellently!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by