Ducklings have pipped shells, but havent seen much activity since...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by astump, Dec 24, 2013.

1. astump

astump New Egg

Dec 24, 2013
    I'm new to all of this bird stuff. I got some ducks two years ago - but sadly, they all got picked off during the winter. Last Spring, I got more however and was determined to raise some ducklings myself. I've grown to love them so much that I want more than just 5! lol Like I said - I'm new to all of this, so I'm working off what I've read online and in books....but 4 of my eggs are due to hatch on Christmas...but have begun pipping their shells already. Two days ago (on Day 25), I heard some chirping while I turned them for the last time and upon closer examination - I noticed some very small holes in two of the eggs & a new crack (not just a little whole) in a third egg. When I got home from work last night, three eggs actually had noticable "pip holes" (I think that would be the correct terminology. lol) and the one that had the crack - was bigger! I've been up in the night to check on them ever since I noticed activity...but haven't seen much from the three eggs with pip fractures... However, the one in the egg that was cracked must be a determined little duckling, as it was going to town this morning before I left for work. I know it takes 28 days for ducklings to hatch - but I'm worried that I'm doing something wrong. The one duckling is working to get out of its shell - but the others don't seem to be moving much. I hear chirping quite often...but I'm not sure if its just the one or if its all of them socializing. I actually read last night that I can check for life by holding the eggs. The forum said that if they are still alive - I'd feel like a peck/knock from inside (which I felt in all of them), but why have they pipped and not done anything since (for about a day now)?? I read that they typically will hatch within 24 hours of pipping, but mine haven't! :(
    Momma's getting anxious!!!!! LOL
    I've put 4 sponges into the incubator, along with a small bowl of water, and filled the space in the bottom with water also to keep the humidity up as high as I can. I've unplugged one of the vent holes for air movement. My temp stays about 99 degrees & humidity is around 55-60% (I can't seem to get it any higher), but I'm hoping that they arent having issues being stuck - and if so, how would I know & be able to avoid that problem?
    Now that I've seen this much progress (and know there's life), I don't want to make any mistakes!

2. conquest780

conquest780 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2013
    Sorry I saw this post so late. We'll did they come out ?

3. astump

astump New Egg

Dec 24, 2013
    Yep! I helped it out though. Little duckling is doing great!! :) Im just hoping that I can learn & figure out what it is thats not allowing them to break out easily by themselves (for future reference)! Thank goodness for this site! LOTS of beneficial info for a newbie like me! LOL
    Thanks for asking btw!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by