ducklings housing

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by BelleInBoots, Feb 23, 2015.

1. BelleInBoots

BelleInBoots Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2014
    West GA
    Hey guys, i impulsively picked 4 ducklings at tractor supply a few days ago foolishly thinking that they would be a lot more like chicks. lmao. they are so incredible messy and wet. lol. i cant keep their waterer full to save my life or their box even partly dry. lol. i have an empty chicken tractor that i was thinkin of getting a gallon size waterer for and moving them in there as soon as possibly the dirt would be a lot easier to keep dry than chips and they would have more space. I could put a heat lamp under it and there is a ramp that they could walk up and have a little dry place to hide from the wind and rain. They may be about 1-2 weeks old and seem to be growing fast. I live an hour south of atlanta. does anyone have an idea when it would be safe for me to move them outside? thanks so much for reading!

Christie

2. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    Congrats! Ducks grow fast! And water is always hard to keep under control. Lose the chicken waterer. They will just make a mess and it isn't deep enough for them. You can look through my pics for ideas on water containers. I find it much easier to just make my own. I used a rabbit litter pan full of pine pellets and then put their waterer on there. Controls a lot of the mess. Also ducks will need heat for a while and with this crazy weather they will need to be able to stay warm and dry. Read through this https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/750869/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings and I would get a book on ducks. I like Storey's guide to raising ducks.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  3. Mrs.H

Mrs.H Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    I keep my ducklings inside, in a plastic kiddie pool (if you happen to have one) with a piece of fencing around its easier to clean imo and only a small section of bedding gets wet, easy to just scoop out that part often.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by