Ducklings. I need help!!!( Duckling Pic)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by BigByrd24, Mar 26, 2009.

1. BigByrd24

BigByrd24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2008
    S.E. Kansas
    Hi,
    I have never raised ducklings before. I have now got two of them a yellow one with a pinkish bill and a all black one. What do you feed them? Is medicated feed OK? please help
    Thanks Tim

Last edited: Mar 27, 2009
  2. Chickie Mamma

Chickie Mamma Farmer at Heart

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    NO Medicated feed. Ducks eat much more than chicks and can OD. Non medicated chick starter is fine!

3. Ducklove334

Ducklove334 Off to another pond

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    non-medicated chick starter/grower until 10 weeks, then swtich to grower/finisher until 18 weeks, then layer crumbles/pellets

they need enough water to clean out their noeses and eyes

4. Chickie Mamma

Chickie Mamma Farmer at Heart

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Oh, and [​IMG] from CT [​IMG]

5. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    Actually, medicated can be used but it has to be the right kind. One kind of medicated is not good and the other is. I can't remember which medicated you can't use though. The medicated chick starter we have here works just fine. I would ask the feed store.

6. BigByrd24

Nov 27, 2008
    S.E. Kansas
    Thank you all. all info is welcome here. [​IMG] So I can do my best as a duckling Daddy.LOL
    Thanks again Tim

7. headred

headred Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Lawrence
    Hey SE Kansas! I am probably just north of you. I feed mine non medicated starter grain from Orscheln. But what mine love the most is scrap veges and worms! The worms are so much fun to feed them and they scream for them. Lots of lettuce, broccoli, asparagus, celery leaves, pretty much anything that would come out of the garden. Someplace, I might have googles "what to feed ducks", I found a list of the veges NOT to feed them. Oddly spinach is one of them. You can click on my website and see my newbies. They are a blast! Good luck with yours!

8. BigByrd24

Nov 27, 2008
    S.E. Kansas
    Ok I got some pics for you all.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So what you all think?

9. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Cute babies!!!

My ducks LOVE frozen veggies thawed out and floated in warm water. Their favorites include French Cut Green Beans, Peas, finely chopped broccoli, and zucchini.

When they get a little older, put them in the bathtub, throw some peas in there and watch them dive for them. VERY entertaining! LOL

10. BigByrd24

Nov 27, 2008
    S.E. Kansas
    Quote:How old? Thanks Tim

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by