Ducklings imprinting on me?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ksmith, Jul 2, 2011.

1. ksmith

ksmith Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Nor Cal
    When I incubate duck eggs, if I make cardboard barriers so that when they hatch they see me, will they imprint on me? I have two mallards right now, and they want nothing to do with me. I want friendly duckies that I can actually pet!

2. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I know that goslings inprint very quickly, but I'm not so sure about ducklings.

3. ksmith

May 24, 2010
    Nor Cal
    Quote:Then i might have to try goslings next year [​IMG]

4. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I might be able to let you know in a few weeks, as I have duck eggs in the bator right now. I had some temp problems (104F!!!) and I'm worried they might already be cooked, but if not I shall let you know how it goes with them. I was wondering a bit about the imprinting thing already, cause I'm just incubating these eggs for a friend, and any/all ducklings will be returned to him a few days after they fluff up and start running around. I was worried they might imprint on me, then miss me when I give them back.

A book I've got about geese actually says you should be careful not to let goslings imprint on you too strongly, cause obviously you can't be with them 24/7 and they will just get quite agitated and upset when you're not around to look after them. It's better if they just imprint on their hatch buddies apparently...

5. ksmith

May 24, 2010
    Nor Cal
    Quote:Thats very interesting, but makes sense that geese will get angry if you are not with them 24/7. I hope all your babies hatch successfully! Thanks [​IMG]

6. kikidee

kikidee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    San Clemente
    I was thinking about doing the same thing. I have duck eggs and I wanted one to imprint on me so I am going to put them in the brooder with one separated by a barrier so he/she cant see the other siblings or bond with them. sounds mean now that I say it [​IMG] but I want it to imprint on me

7. ksmith

May 24, 2010
    Nor Cal
    Quote:I was thinking the same thing! But they will have the other duckies as friends [​IMG]

8. ponypaw

ponypaw Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2011
    I will say that I hatched a single duckling once. It imprinted on me and was very friendly as a baby. Absolutely unafraid. When it got older I began taking it out among the other ducks. It got to where it was a little bit wary, but I was still always able to walk up slowly and pick it up. So keeping one alone works. While its a hatchling though you need to spend time with it, pack it around, etc. to make up for it having no other companions.

9. kikidee

kikidee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    San Clemente
    Quote:Yeah I was going to have it alone and when I have to go away from it more often which will be when its around 6-7 weeks old ill get it a companion but itll still love me hopefully [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by