Ducklings in fire and injured feet. :(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MelYouKnow, Apr 4, 2017.

1. MelYouKnow

MelYouKnow New Egg

Apr 4, 2017
    The worst possible scenario happened to us with our new ducklings (8 weeks old) and the heat lamp fell into their pen. :( We lost one due to injuries but the other two are doing well for the most part - I mean they were walking on fire and basically unscathed except their poor feet. Immediately after the fire was put out, I cleaned their feet with saline solution and applied the only medication I had on hand which was Dermaplast (antibacterial, antiseptic, and analgesic) to their feet.

I've given electrolites in their drinking water for the 3 days after the burns to insure they are hydrated. I've continued to clean and treat with the Dermaplast and Neosporin 3x day but haven't dressed the wounds with guaze but left open thinking they need air to help dry out any infection. We all know ducklings are MESSY and I'm concerned with them walking in their poop and making their wounds worse. I change their bedding 3-4 times a day but I'm still concerned about their feet. One has completely lost her webbing on both feet and they look terrible, black and red. I can tell when the effects of the Dermaplast wear off because she won't stand or walk on the leg that got the worst of it.

The other duck's feet are in much better condition but his webbing is burnt halfway between his toes and the burnt flesh has turned black. In other posts I've read searching for ways to treat their feet, most have brought up an "infection" smell. They smell fine and nothing like rot. What else can I do to help treat their feet and should I be dressing them?

2. Ducks4us

Ducks4us Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2015
    North Idaho
    how sad... 8 weeks old they dont even need a heat lamp?
    do you have photos of them? did you take them to the vet? for something that severe i would go get vet treatment.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  3. MelYouKnow

MelYouKnow New Egg

Apr 4, 2017
    I was phasing out the heat lamp from the date we bought them. I had read to raise up the lamp every week to decrease the temperature by 5° until the temperature under the heat lamp matched outside temp.

No vets in the area who treat ducks.

I'm probably off on their age. I'm not sure how many weeks old they were when we got them and it feels like I've had them for a month and a half (when you tend to them constantly it makes time feel like forever). Thinking hard about it, I think it was mid March when we got them.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  4. Ducks4us

Ducks4us Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2015
    North Idaho
    Yeah i have read that too but all my ducklings have been way different than that chart. Mine are 4 and 5 weeks old and outside for a week almost now without heat. And its in the 30s at night. They are doing great.
    But back to your ducklings.... a picture would help with age, and so we can see how there feet look.
    Hopefully someone else will come along with some advice.
    I dont feel comfortable suggesting anything for such bad wounds. I wouldnt want to make them worse somehow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by