Ducklings in the heat

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DuckiesAndBees, Jun 30, 2011.

1. DuckiesAndBees

DuckiesAndBees Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    I have two ducklings that are 3 and a half weeks old. It's really hot here today, temp of close to 100 with a heat index of 105+. They are in the garage. I just took the heat lamp away a couple of days ago because they weren't sitting under it and it has been getting steadily warmer outside. Now I am worried that it will get too hot in there. I put an ice pack from the freezer in there at one end. I am at work but my aunt has been checking on them. She says they are not by the ice but one was looking hot. Should I have her put a fan aimed towards them or near them? She was also going to put some ice cubes in their waterer. Does anyone have any other suggestions? The air isn't on in the house either so I can't put them in there.

2. DuckLover2399

DuckLover2399 Avian American

Jun 7, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Well my duck were in my brooder in the garage when it was 102. I put some ice cubes in their water and let them swim for about 10 min a day in cool/cold water.

3. Scottingitup

Scottingitup Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Crestview, FL
    Keep them in shade and with constant access to water. I had one poor 3 week old duckling get stuck in some wire and die from the heat in just 1 day (6 ish hours). Stinkin' florida heat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by