Ducklings just hatched

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by stlbybirds, Nov 4, 2014.

1. stlbybirds

stlbybirds New Egg

Nov 4, 2014
    This is my first year raising poultry. My broody duck has had 4 ducklings hatch today. She still has 5 more eggs that look like they might hatch. She hatched a chick (she keeps stealing chicken eggs) 2 days ago, but we found it dead. My question is should I let her try to raise these ducklings, or should I take them from her? We have already had some nights that were below freezing. She doesn't have her nest in a very sheltered area. I hate to take them from her if she can raise them safely. Thanks for your help.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    If you can move her and her nest with ducklings and eggs that haven't hatched to a inside place where she will be safe and give plenty of bedding she should be able to keep them safe and warm. Give them a private spot on the floor where the ducklings can't fall out of the house and can't get back inside. Leaving her and babies out of doors is asking for trouble, she'd never be able to protect them from a predator even a house cat but she'd give her life trying. I've moved a mama duck from one house to another where she would have more privacy and she stuck right to the nest once I got it and her moved. Just make sure to get as much of the nest as possible a flat edge shovel helps.
    Welcome to BYC

Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
  3. stlbybirds

stlbybirds New Egg

Nov 4, 2014
    Thanks for your advice. I'll try to find a safe place to put the nest.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by