1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ducklings Keep Passing Away

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by fourkidsandduck, May 5, 2016.

1. fourkidsandduck

fourkidsandduck Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    I had our Muscovy duck hatch 13 ducklings. I moved them into the brooder and over the last 12 hours I have lost three. I'm very concerned at this point and would love some community input. The ones that are passing away are lethargic, mostly stay under the heat lamp and slowly pass away.

1. Is it normal to lose a few in the 24-36 hours after hatch?
    2. Would they be better off with their mother?

2. ravensgait

ravensgait Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2010
    NM
    No it is not normal to have them just die like that. Might be a better to give them back to mom .

3. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    It may be very stressful for them and that causes them to die.

4. bh1duck

bh1duck Out Of The Brooder

Nov 4, 2015
    what temperature is the brooder? is there plenty of food and water? is there anything in the brooder that is being heated by the lamp and giving off fumes?

5. fourkidsandduck

fourkidsandduck Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Brooder is around 90 under the heat lamp. Food and water is there. I thought about the fumes but I don't think the heat lamp is heating the plastic brooder bin enough to do that. I did purchase this:

[​IMG][​IMG]

I'm planning to segregate the sick duckling and allow it to drink from a special cup with the Vita-Sol. From the looks of the ingredients I think it should be acceptable for ducklings. Any thoughts?

6. fuzzy8

fuzzy8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2016
    Escanaba, Mi
    I'm curious to how that will work

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by