Ducklings killing ducklings?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LindseyM12, May 13, 2010.

1. LindseyM12

LindseyM12 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    North Carolina
    Hi! Just had a duckling hatch and I have 3 other ducklings that are a week and a half or 2 weeks old and I wondered if they can be together or not. [​IMG]
    Thanks for any input!! [​IMG]

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

IMHO ducks tend to be gentler with each other than chicks do. From what I have seen with my ducks, they are very accepting of new members to the flock. However, I would still watch them to check for agressiveness.

3. LindseyM12

May 4, 2009
    North Carolina
    Thanks!!!
    I thought they were more gentle than chickens too!

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:I think it is because they are more skittish - they see another duck and think "OH GOODY, power in numbers". HAHAHA!

5. LindseyM12

May 4, 2009
    North Carolina
    Quote:I think it is because they are more skittish - they see another duck and think "OH GOODY, power in numbers". HAHAHA!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    watch your ducklings around the drake. We had a duckling hatch a couple of weeks ago Momma finally brought them back to the flock after a few days. While we were feeding I noticed that the drake was after a few of the ducklings. he kept pecking them. I ran in and got them out. He had broken the skin on both their backs. I brought them in and cleaned them up and kept them inside. I then found another one almost dead. I saved him as well. What I think the drake was doing was killing off the male ducklings because after he went after those he left the others alone. We finally took them all out of the pen just to be sure. the hens never bothered with them at all though

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by