Ducklings new brooder

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by sowellj, Nov 3, 2009.

1. sowellj

sowellj Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2009
    The ducklings are a week old tonight. They were making a huge mess (poop) out of the plastic bin they were in so I made them a new one. How fast will they get too big for this one? I can make it taller and put a top on it. It is 14.5" tall.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Rough day.

[​IMG]

2. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

I love that second picture... little pooped out ducklings!

I was completely amazed at how fast our ducklings grew. You may have to make it taller, but it should take you a ways.

3. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

cute duckies! What exactly are they?

4. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I give it a week before they start trying to jump over the sides. Better add that second tier NOW! LOL

As for breed...rouens

Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
  5. sowellj

Sep 29, 2009
    Yes, they are rouens and yes I think your right about them jumping out. Someone told me to get a kiddie pool so I got one and they could jump right out of it. I didn't have anything to put aroung the pool to keep them in.

6. classroomducks

classroomducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2009
    Fort Worth, Tx
    my little 3 day old mallard is trying to jump 6" barriers that the pekins dont even think twice about. I made the mistake of the mallard being the last one in the cardboard pen I made on the floor of my room and he was peeping and those little wings were flapping...He did not like being the last one in the pen and he was going to get out! lol It wont be long before yours are jumping out too im sure.

7. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I named this guy "Bungie" for his jumping ability [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Baby Picture

[​IMG]
    All grown up [​IMG]

For a big, heavy breed, they sure are agile as ducklings!!!

8. sowellj

Sep 29, 2009
    He is beautiful! These two are characters. They want you in the room all the time. I had to make revisions today because Fudge kept trying to get through the small squares to get to us. I was afraid he would choke or get stuck. I doubled the panels to make the squares smaller. Fudge is the duckling I had to help out of his shell after 2 days of him stuck with only his beak out now he wants to get out of everything.

When do they get their colors(if male)about 4 months?

9. LauraSBale

LauraSBale Chillin' With My Peeps

very cute
    nice digs to

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by